Monday, September 17, 2012

Treatment Plan as of 9/17/12

So yesterday the seizures began again when he had been off of the medication for about 30 hours. That obviously was a bit of a let down because we were feeling hopeful that we wouldn't need to go back to the medical coma. But getting where we are means a couple of good things: 1) He doesn't need that much of the coma medicine to control the seizures and 2) In planning out going back in for our second round of medical coma we don't need to plan on keeping him under for as long as we might have needed to if his seizures were harder to control. These two things help to minimize his risk while he is here because he will hopefully have more time where he will be able to cough and help clear his lungs to reduce the risk of infection. The other thing that happened by the end of yesterday is that he became slightly more swollen again. When I mentioned this to the attending this morning he pointed out to me that the medication for the medical coma also helps to "confuse" his white blood cells that are making all this inflammation and wreaking so much havoc in his body. What that means to me is that although we do not have a diagnosis 18 days into this journey we are doing the right things by shutting down his immune system. Beyond that, it continues the hope that as the medications to shut down the immune system work more and more, he will get better and better. One day hopefully that will mean him back again but for now we are in a process of accepting the small wins and taking the challenges in stride.

Today we have the next dose of the immune suppression medication. Beyond that maybe US Airways will actually run the flight to get me home to Vegas.


Crossing my fingers that both of those things go well.

Bryn

2 comments:

  1. I have had a brief encounter with Bob during Wellcoach training 2004. He has the unique gift of sharing and connecting with each person he meets. I believe in a really big God and am appealing to Him for Bob....every day!

    ridiculously LOVING
    INFINITELY wise
    a FAVORED child
    ETERNALLY gracious
    tried and TRUE
    REVERENT to all
    immeasureablyEMPATHETIC
    KINSHIP rich

    Bob is LIFETREK!

    Happy Day, Lissa S-B

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Bob and His family,
    My encounters with Bob are as a student in the summer 2012 well-coaching class. I began this journey in a not so happy place. The lessons Bob, Meg, and the staff have developed have brought much growth, and moved me into a better place personally. I have made a 180 change in my family life that has positively affected my 2 sons by bringing a vision of greater purpose and meaning to my life and theirs. Bob has touched me in so many ways. His teaching style of curiosity and discovering the best about each person in our lessons demonstrates an excellence that I desire in myself. I love the way he brings all his experience to each teaching and coaching session.

    Know that I am praying and have ask my friends to pray as well. That God will be glorified even in this situation that is not humanly desirable. Many thanks to Bob's family who are willing to share this journey with us. This morning I was listening to a recording of a class Bob taught and I look forward to a day when I can let him know how much I appreciate who he is, what he does, and how much I learn and grow through his work with well-coaching. Even though I have only spoken with Bob twice I consider him a valued mentor in my journey to becoming an excellent mother, friend, and wellness coach.

    Many Blessings to Bob, His Family & Friends,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete