Wednesday, September 19, 2012

An Update as of 9/19/12

This is another quiet day as they slowly take Bob off of one of the two coma-inducing medications. After we got our hopes up the last time they brought Bob out of the coma, only to have the seizures begin again, one of the nurses said to me “Honey, take the pennies – they spend the same as the dollars.” That has been a good reminder to be grateful for all of the little things along the way. Each day that Bob doesn’t have an infection, or a clot, or a bedsore, or any of the other things that can sneak up and get him while he is in this vulnerable state, that is a penny we can celebrate.

Tomorrow, Bob will have a surgery to remove his shiny new pacemaker, because one of the leads has come loose and he no longer needs it. He is tentatively scheduled for 10am. There are certainly risks with having a surgery with his immune system so suppressed, but the benefits outweigh the risks because once it is out it will allow the doctors to get a brain MRI and try to get a better idea of the state of Bob’s brain. Once past the surgery, then I think they will continue with slowly bringing Bob off of the second coma-inducing medication as we watch to see how he does. Maura has decided to stay an extra day so that I won’t be waiting alone while Bob is in the surgery. Then Bob’s dad and sister should arrive tomorrow evening. Perhaps by then Bob will once again begin to open his eyes and wake up without the seizures starting again. That is our prayer.

You can bet that last evening when I stepped into the elevator at our condo and saw a bright shiny penny on the floor, I picked it up! 


-Megan

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Megan,
    Just wanted you to know that I'm following Bob's progress through your blog entries each day and sending you and your family prayers of strength, wisdom, comfort, and support. Be good to yourself and know that you are cared for and lifted up.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Mary Jane, grandma of Baby Graham.

    I think of you and Bob several times a day and try to meditate with Bob on my mind, holding him in the light.

    Almost each day I check the blog, and so appreciate your entries. Let me know if I can come up on a weekend to sit with you and help out.

    MJ


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi-
    I was a student of Bob's through Wellcoaches. I loved the classes he taught, finding inspiration and support through his humor, his honesty, his passion for the coaching process and love of life overall.
    I thank you so much for allowing us to share this journey. I appreciate the updates and am keeping him and all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Maura

    ReplyDelete