Thursday, November 1, 2012

INCREDIBLE Update!!

Hi everyone! This blog post is coming from Bob himself after having taken more than two months to recover from a rather mysterious affliction to the limbic part of my brain. At this point I keep getting better each day and I am encouraged by all of the people, including medical professionals such as my daughter, who promise that I can make a full recovery. Even if they are pretending, I appreciate the vote of confidence. It encourages me greatly and keeps me in the game.
 
Today was a big day with lots of activity and therapy sessions. Frankly, the best part of the day was the end of the day, when Bryn and I drove to Ben & Jerry's to get a hot fudge sundae. It was the first thing I have actually "tasted" in the entire two months. I think my taste buds had gotten out of practice but if anything would get them back in the game, a hot fudge sundae was it. It could and did. Best medicine ever!
 
In the morning I worked on a brochure and a survey with my sister-in-law, Maura Rawn, for the Center for School Transformation. These were drafted by Adrienne Tinsley, our new sales professional, and it was great to get back in the game doing what I do best: writing and creatively imagining how best to express the philosophy, energy, and talent of our team. You will be hearing a lot more from us on all of these fronts in the near future.
 
After working on the brochure, we went back to the hospital to thank all of the personnel who did such a great job of taking care of me during those early days in the hospital. My daughter Bryn had baked 2 pans of brownies which I was happy to deliver during my "victory lap" to both the ICU team and the step down unit. They were all amazed to see me walking independently with no supports and with a great big smile of my face. There were lots of hugs and tears as we celebrated the goodness of the Sustaining Spirit that calls us into being and sustains us through the dance of life itself. It was a great time that neither I nor they will soon forget.
 
In the afternoon I had two hours of therapy (Physical, Occupational, and Speech) and was pretty exhausted by the end. That led me to take an hour-long nap which was pretty unusual and refreshing. Maybe it will become a habit! The best part of recent days was getting cleared last Friday to walk around on my own with no sticks, canes, or walkers. As I become more aware of the freedom, I am feeling more like myself all the time. What a joy!
 
After my nap I spent a long time talking to family and friends until I got exhausted by all the stimulation and joy. That led me to wrap things up and that's when we went for ice cream. Now I'm home again and it's time for bed. Time flies when you have no sense of time at all! Sometimes I look up and it seems like 5 minutes have passed when it has actually been an hour or two. Other times, I look up and think it has been an hour or two when it has actually been 5 minutes. Weird.
 
I would ask for your continued prayers and support. Things are moving in the right direction and I have reason to believe that I will make a full and complete recovery. I keep telling my family to assure me of that possibility even if it's not true. We live on hope, faith and prayer more than on facts, fear or force. Keep that in mind the next time you go through a crisis of your own.
 
Until I post again, blessings upon you all. :) Bob

5 comments:

  1. To my coach/hero--wonderful news, Bob. Keep moving forward, as we coaches like to say. :)

    A short story about UVA medical center. Your move there prompted me to get in touch with the dietitians who work on your unit. I wanted the reassurance that you'd be in the best hands, since I know that weight loss can easily happen during an illness like yours.

    Dietitians often work behind the scenes in a hospital--we are there monitoring your care, and working closely with your doctor. They couldn't have been nicer to me, and invited me to tour UVA the next time I come to the area. I was reassured that their top notch nutrition support team would care for you well.

    Enjoy those sundaes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing to read and share! Keep up the good work Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic progress - a result of strong faith, loving companions, a filled heart, and a determined spirit. Continued blessings, Bob. I will share good news with Wellspring. Cindi Eicher

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so exciting, Bob! I'm delighted to read that you're on your way home and expect you back to your normal 150% almost immediately. I'll share this with the BOG - they've all been working on Project Get Bob Back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a joy to read your words again Bob! I don't know you personally but have heard your voice through the Wellcoaches training and regularly read your provisions. I have been following your story and have been one of hundreds (or more likely thousands!) that have been sending prayers and healing wishes. You have made an amazing, miraculous recovery so far and I shall go on believing that the best is still to come. All my best wishes to you and your family.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete