Friday, November 16, 2012

A Poem from Amy

Throughout my struggles I have often recited the Bene Geserit Litany Against Fear from the book Dune by Frank Herbert:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me and when it is gone I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Since pain (both physical and emotional) has been a very common recurrence over the course of my life - I adapted Herbert's words to develop my own Litany Against Pain:

I will not be in pain.
Pain is the body killer.
Pain is the assault on the senses that prevents clarity and peace.

I will face my pain. I will channel it over me and through me and when it has passed I will focus and reflect to capture its path. I will erase that path until all remnants are gone. Only I will remain; renewed and refreshed.

I have recited both litanies time and time again as a form of therapy. Along with other forms of relaxation and cognitive behavior I have been able to not only live through some very painful ordeals but become a stronger more cognizant and thankful being because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment