Friday, October 5, 2012

An Update as of 10/5/12

As much as Bob loves Megan, he might love a new lady as well – the person who gave him chocolate pudding today!

There were a few additional sweet moments today as we prepared for the transfer to the rehab hospital:

When the NP asked if he is working on a book, he said, “I’m always working on a book.”

When he arrived at the hospital rehab, he was asked to begin thinking about having goals.
  The first goal he wrote is “To have goals.”
When the doctor asked him, “What does ‘Don’t cry over spilled milk’ mean?” Bob said, “Well, you shouldn’t cry when you lose something, but this is spilled milk and I’ve been crying.”

Here was some of his narrative from today:

“I need to and want to get reoriented. I guess it is a battle, but I think of it as a gift.  I could never find these words; they have been given to me. I have to go hunting for them, but now I have a field to go hunting in.  You have to claim it as a transformation. It is not something that is given to you, even though it is a gift. You have to claim it, or it doesn’t happen.

I used to talk about transformation, but didn’t realize how hard transformation is.  It is hard. In my mind, I was doing my normal routine. I’m glad I was exercising in my mind; otherwise, I’d just lay around and be a bum!

I’m sad that I put my family and friends through it. In a sense I’ve lost five weeks, but in a sense I’ve been given five weeks. Five weeks of being here unraveling what is happening. I’ve been doing that largely unconsciously, but consciously the last couple of days. I remember these people because they love me so much. I’ve had a lot of people loving on me. It doesn’t feel fast; it feels agonizingly slow.  I used to talk about transformation, but didn’t realize how hard transformation is.  It is hard.

The therapists better watch out because I’m pretty smart!  They better have good speech therapists at rehab because I have a lot to say!”

-Erika

1 comment:

  1. This really has a life trek, and thank you for allowing me to join in the journey. Work has stolen from me the ability to be there physically, but know I am with you in spirit.
    MJ

    ReplyDelete