Saturday, June 8, 2013

An Update as of 6/8/13

This is Bob, here, sending in an update from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. I’ve been giving the world’s experts in my mysterious condition a real puzzle and even stumping them as to what is actually going on. The word is not all good and not all bad from the tests they have run, which will now continue on into next week. There has been and is some permanent damage to certain parts of my brain, especially the parts involving memory. It is not fully known, however, as to how much of that is recoverable and/or can be picked up by other parts of my brain. This is clearly a marathon and not a sprint. Fortunately, I have a lot of experience with marathons. The next few months will be crucial, with more tests and treatments. Life goes on – that’s the good thing – yet not the way anyone expected or would have desired. What a strange and curious time. Everyone’s hopes and prayers for a full recovery are appreciated. I love and value the community that is holding me and my family up in your thoughts and prayers and the work we all have yet to do together as a wide, extended community of hope.

That said, I want to share a wonderful serendipity. Early this morning I was feeling a little scared and sad about the challenges I have been facing so, while Megan was still sleeping, I went out for a walk to clear my head. The people at the front desk gave me a map and pointed me in the direction of Silver Lake Park, where they said I would find plenty of trails and inspiration. Setting out, I took pictures of landmarks along the way to make sure I would be able to get back to the hotel safely.

Much to my surprise and delight, I arrived at the park just as the gun was about to go off for the start of a 5K race that was devoted to raising consciousness about and money for cancer survivors. Showing up at just that moment was really amazing. I have not run an actual race, something that has been very important to me for many, many years, since the start of this whole ordeal as the end of last August. So seeing the race all set up, with all the people and balloons and support personnel, really started my adrenaline flowing. I immediately knew: I was doing this race.

The race was designed with two groups of participants: runners and walkers. I joined in with the walkers and I walked around the entire lake, never getting lost or dehydrated because the route was clearly marked with several water stops along the way. To my delight, I didn’t even come in last! This was the first race I have participated in since the start of this whole ordeal at the end of last August, and it felt great to be out on a course again. By the time I got back to the hotel, I had gone about 5 miles and then, later in the day, Megan and I went back over to the lake in our car, to walk around it again. She thoroughly enjoyed being outside, in nature, with the gifts of God so clearly at hand.

How could anyone plan something like that? To show up at a random place, at a random time, right when a perfectly designed race was about to start? Amazing! It’s enough to make you think that the anxiety and stress of this ordeal notwithstanding, everything is going to be all right.
 

3 comments:

  1. Bob,
    I am so happy you got to do a race!!!
    Margo Riddle

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're continuing to pray at SpiritWorks. How wonderful that you got to do a race. Living in the present does have some benefits - glad you get to experience some of them!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome story! God is in the midst of this, and I rejoice for such grace!

    ReplyDelete