Friday, January 4, 2013

An Update as of 1/4/13

Some 25 years ago I was in the midst of a rough patch in my life. I remember sitting in the audience of a musical program put on by the Good News Community Church Choir as they sang a song on the theme of “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms.” That message resonated deeply with me and I closed my eyes and prayed “Yes, Lord, I need to lean into your arms. I am not strong enough to get through this on my own.” No sooner had I lifted that silent prayer than I felt real, physical arms surround me and pull me over into a loving embrace. I let myself relax into that embrace, marveling at how quickly and powerfully my prayer had been answered. I did not open my eyes to see whose arms God had used to answer my prayer until the song was over. I looked up to find that it was Fannie Campbell, one of the loving matriarchs of our little church community, a woman who had a known her share of sorrow and heartache and had been strengthened by it rather than having become bitter. Many times have I revisited the memory of that prayer so beautifully and lovingly answered.

Bob and I are making the final leg of our holiday travels today, returning home after two weeks in which we have spent time with many of the people whose real, physical arms have embraced us and served as powerful expressions of God’s care for us during these past four months. Our souls have been nourished with love, laughter, and play while our bodies have been nourished with good food and rest. Revisiting places that have been important to us in Cleveland, Columbus, and Washington, DC have helped Bob to re-collect precious memories. While Bob still has quite a ways to go to having his memory fully restored, visiting the homes, churches, and restaurants that have provided the context for events that have shaped who we are was a powerful and healing experience for both Bob and me.

We now return to a home that has been undergoing a transformation while we’ve been away. A crew of painters has been busy scrubbing away the mold and mildew that had been growing unnoticed on the woodwork throughout the lower level of our house, and putting a fresh coat of paint on the part of the house where Bob’s spends much of his days. We look forward to an environment that will support continued healing and the work that both Bob and I find so meaningful. We covet your continued prayers and blessings. These have sustained us through this frightening and miraculous journey.

May we all take notice of the blessings all around us in this new year!

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment